1. Jeff Utecht May 21, 2008 at 5:07 pm |

Great Post! Will be adding this one to Diigo archives. It’s amazing that once you connect how fast you can move from local to global.

2. mcarls May 21, 2008 at 8:33 pm |

Great blog post, I can relate to all with Twitter, Ning, del.icio.us and my little Edublog. I saw this in Jeff Utecht’s daily link. I tweeted before that I use Twitter to start my day and look for neat ideas, I then check out del.icio.us links and will search Ning for ones I’m in (SMART Board, WNY-PLP, and looking at Voicethreads).
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    Mark Carls

3. Sue Waters May 21, 2008 at 9:18 pm |

I’m glad my posts on The Edublogger have helped you all. Sorry about the frog incident the other day on twitter (but I’m still stressed by the whole thought and it wasn’t me in the toilet). I shall probably not tell my hubby that the World knows he is fishing challenged.

4. inpi May 22, 2008 at 4:06 pm |

Thank you for this inspiring post. I agree with you in that we may have friends whom we never met in a physical context; we surely can feel the power of authentic human relationships fueling our reflections and efforts to improve both as persons and as professionals. Me too find delicious, blogging, twitter and moodle as being “part of my life” and it amazes me to recognize that not even a month ago I would take all this for a dream.
    Although I sound like someone offering ice cream to Eskimos, in the context of Comment Challenge I must recommend you a web tool: I’ve chosen Camaléo: http://en.calameo.com/tour/ for it seems to be very practical, aesthetically valuable and may be included in social media; it allows you to publish your documents embedding videos in them, among other advantages.
    As you probably know this web tool already, I dare suggest also”Read the Words”: http://www.readthewords.com/ which is a tool that enables us to listen to any text we have previously submitted to be read, while we drive our car or clean our house, for instance.
    Thank you for your wonderful posts.
    Ines

5. Gabriela Grosseck May 27, 2008 at 9:03 am |

Hi Britt,

First of all – great post !

Secondly, I tried to remember when was the first time I “met” social media. And I couldn’t ! I think in 2005, due to my friend Carmen Holotescu, which is the “head” behind the Romanian Twitter – Cirip, I started to blog. Then I discover del.icio.us and slideshare, and flickr and others social online artifacts.

Above all, I discovered A COMMUNITY, made by wonderful people, ready to help and support beginners like me (with poor English background, too). I found out that the world isn’t flat due to social media tools we all share.

I have so many many names to thanks for: Sue Waters, Eduardo Peirano, Britt Watwood, Beth Kanter, Darren Draper, Judy O’Connell, Steve Hargadon, Paulo Coelho, Jim Henderson, George Hari Popescu, Carmen Holotescu, Javed Alam – sorry for all the persons I didn’t mention here.

I am so grateful because of all these people I am a better teacher and improved my personal development every day.

6. Jade May 30, 2008 at 3:23 pm |

I know as a web 2.0 professional, social media feels both exciting and daunting at times. On the other hand, I have definitely become a Facebook addict in my personal life!

7. Elizabeth Holmes July 5, 2008 at 12:00 pm |

So interesting that a pattern is emerging! I am also in a position that places Web 2.0 as part of new job responsibilities. Without following your lead, I joined the identical social networks and have experienced very similar learning outcomes and perspectives. Because my responsibilities are related to teacher professional development, I am seeing a pattern that points to revolutionary practices in educator PD – strengthened by an existing social/technical infrastructure to support it. After 20 years in teacher professional development, it seems clear that the future is now.
    One challenging aspect of my journey continues to be separating techno-centeredness from student-centeredness. It is easy to get caught up in the Web 2.0 whirlwind. For me, keeping a straight head means focusing on product and process for the ultimate value tools can add to inspired, deep learning.
    Glad I stumbled on your blog, kindred spirit!