1. Punya June 8, 2008 at 3:11 pm |

Dear Britt, thank you for your thoughtful and insightful commentary on the difference between Pedagogy & Androgogy. What is ironic is that when Matt and I developed the framework it was done almost solely based on work done with higher education faculty – not K12 teachers. So, to be fair we should have called the framework TACK (just as you suggest).

The main reason we used Pedagogy was because it is a more common and easily understood phrase – which may not have been the case with the word Androgogy.

Your points are well made and I would be interested to learn more about how you (or other people reading this blog) are thinking about this.
    sincerely, Punya

2. Michele Martin June 9, 2008 at 5:07 am |

Britt, I’ve always found it interesting that people believe that there’s that much of a difference between teaching adults and teaching children. If you consider Knowles’ premises, I would argue that these apply to children as well. They too need to know why they’re learning something and how it’s relevant. They also do better with experiential, problem-based learning. Personally, I think that learning is learning and this idea that children and adults learn in radically different ways is a false one.

3. Frank Gulla June 9, 2008 at 7:55 am |

Britt,
    And why not differentiate between instructors in k12 and instructors in college/university. The vast majority of instructors in k12 are educated/trained to be teachers, to instruct the young.
    The vast majority of college/univeristy instructors are educated in some other field and have taken up “teaching” as content experts and often as an secondary role at the college/university.
    I think it is clear they are different. Maybe the real question is whether there should be a blend of teachers (k12) and ??? (higherED) in both locations.

4. Kimberly McCollum June 9, 2008 at 2:50 pm |

Yesterday, I was interviewing a faculty member about the “theories of learning” that have influenced his courses. He told me that he used to believe in Knowles’ theory of adragogy, but has since decided that the principles suggested by adragogy apply to children as well. He suggested that the major difference between children and adults is that adults have more experience that they can relate to new situations. I tend to agree with him.