1. Michele Martin June 24, 2008 at 5:25 am |

Britt, part of what has made your year transformative is your own openness to it. You’ve continued to strike me as being sort of like a thirsty flower just drinking in all of these experiences and connections. I do think that you’re right that this somehow needs to be captured in your annual report, although how to convey the true impact of these connections may be harder.

2. Bud Deihl June 24, 2008 at 12:42 pm |

Britt,
    As your colleague and friend (you note) I have been with you on a bit of this voyage; sometimes in the same car, sometimes following and on occasion about a half a car length ahead. Your blog actually mirrors my reflection (report) of the past year.

You know my forte and interest is not particularly in the numbers, but the personal stories which reflect the outcomes of our shared experiences. My joy is in seeing faculty (and others) get inspired by our work and watching them take ownership to create their own learning experiences, teaching resources and student engagement.

Reporting this stuff is difficult, as you point out. But, that’s what’s been true in education since the beginning of idea exchange. It is easy to count heads of those who show up on a roster. It is easy to get numbers from assessment tools, But it has been and will always be impossible to know the influence our work has on ALL those around us and those who hear the distant “jungle drum” which we beat.

Bud
    http://exploratorylearner.blogspot.com/

3. inpi June 24, 2008 at 7:38 pm |

I hear “the distant jungle drum”. And it certainly has an influence on me.
    Hi Britt,
    “Now suddenly, I have become enamored with the connections and this network that has accepted me.”

I think more and more people are being touched by this “tidal wave” of sharing and collaboration, by this emergent awareness of the human presence and its priceless meaning.

But the way you choose to express it brought something new to me in this common perspective.

I didn’t know the beautiful word “enamored” existed in English.
    I thought it belonged exclusively to languages rooted in Latin, even if the prefix “in” and the past participle suffix are certainly common to Portuguese, Spanish and English.

But the noun “amor” comes directly from Latin to both Portuguese and Spanish, were it means “love”.

Side by side with both modern and highlighted words such as “connections” and “network”, the unexpected Latin word with its somehow medieval connotation seemed to cast a different light upon the whole sentence.

As if, in a way, Love was keeping this enhancement of our way to relate to others invisibly connected also with the past of our human adventure as an inner dimension of the whole Network.

And I wish you a great report.
    Ines