1. Steve Mackenzie August 7, 2008 at 10:17 am |

Hi Britt,

Looks a good course. Good idea. Hope it goes well. Just a couple of things so that i am clear about how the course will work.

1. where is the online focus for the students. where will they congregate online. Is it behind a VLE

2. How do you see your role as a teacher, how will you facilitate and/or impart knowledge.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

2. Steve Mackenzie August 7, 2008 at 10:28 am |

What form will the lecturing take – is it mainly through a text based discussion board?

Also how many students taking part?

3. Steve Mackenzie August 7, 2008 at 10:33 am |

Forget the last comment i see you are doing a little lecturing (i presume as and when in whatever arena).

What is your first contact with the students. how are the inducted to what is required?

4. Steve Mackenzie August 7, 2008 at 11:22 am |

very interested in how you get on Britt, look forward to your feedback both during and after the course

don’t know what you have planned for student feedback – but would be interested in what they think of your role as guider, how they viewed interactions with fellow students (did they feel connected, was it motivating being connected), how they liked/disliked the learning process and did they enjoy it.

All the best

5. Sue Waters August 13, 2008 at 6:05 pm |

I’m going to be the devil’s advocate here. My thoughts are if you want them to learn about Web 2.0 tools you should be modeling their use through the entire process of the course so I wouldn’t use my LMS but set up the course entirely using Web 2.0 tools. So you could use a mixture of blogs, wikis, Personalised Start Page etc to manage the course from.

The other important aspect about Rogers Innovation Adoption Curve is the each group has a different reason for buying into the use of technology and differing technical support needs. I survey participants when I run PD to determine their technical skills level prior to doing the PD so I know where they are at. It really helps. For example if they haven’t ever downloading applications or set up online accounts I know they will need a high level of support. Whereas someone who already has a high level of technical skills just needs to be shown a new way of doing things and they will normally fly.

6. Steve Mackenzie August 14, 2008 at 4:19 am |

Hi Sue and Britt,

I think the survey of technical skills is a very good idea.

Also i agree that ideally they should all use web 2.0 tools if they want to enjoy learning :-), but i suspect the familiar arena of blackboard gives a solid core base of commonality from which to proceed until the students feel more comfortable with new tools.

In my earlier comments i was wondering where the connecting binding online space would be. If blackboard was not used, i think diigo social bookmarking would be a good place to bring them together in a central online space, rather than more involved wikis or ning networks (if you need to keep it simple)