1. Dr. Sanford Aranoff September 15, 2008 at 7:49 pm |

To help teachers and students, we must understand how students think. See “Teaching and Helping Students Think and Do Better” on amazon.

2. Sue Waters September 16, 2008 at 6:19 am |

Sorry but I disagree with Michael Wesch if he is implying that they don’t need assistance in learning to use these tools. It would be nice if they didn’t but my experience has been that students need “hand holding” and scaffolding of learning how to use these tools based on their level of technical skills.

I’ve seen numerous 18 years totally struggle with this; if you don’t provide the necessary support and structure it’s not going to happen. Just because they are comfortable and confident with using MySpace, Facebook or Online gaming doesn’t necessarily mean these skills transfer across to being able to be self directed in learning how to use these tools.

I like Sarah’s approach and definitely I would be highlighting the messy aspect but how much you gain from the connections.

My thoughts is you have to stage their learning with some teaching of how to use the tools; ensure that you have included mechanisms for them to easy connect with each other; and provide ongoing encouragement.

I’m working with some preservice teachers here. I really starting to enjoy watching them starting to grow and gain from what they are learning in terms of using these tools.

3. Keven Jones September 16, 2008 at 9:03 am |

I must confess I am little bit uncomfortable with Mr. Wesch’s view of self learning. Many of us who never grew up with technologies are babes when it comes to using these tools. It would like a “baptism of fire” if someone were to demand of us to use web.2.0 tools to accomplish some task on the web, especially if that task will be graded.

I am one those who believe to an extent that not everything must be taught to students. In my view, students should take the initiative to learn a few things in harmony with what is being taught by the instructor. However, it should not be left entirely up to the student to paddle himself around. He might be tossed about like a ship without a rudder.

I would prefer to blend Sarah’s views with a minute portion of Mr. Wesch’s view. I believe students must be helped when necessary and also to teach the child to use technologies to achieve learning ends.

My humble opinion;
    Keven Jones

4. Rosa Romero September 16, 2008 at 11:51 am |

It is important to know our students first before applying any kind of technique. Not all of them have the same needs or ways of learning,some may like to explore by themselves and others may need to be guided step by step through the process. Using the web is now a need for our new generations and for teachers as well, so lets use it effectively to reach all of them.
    Maybe both of the strategies above described are correct,but they need to be applied according to the students’ needs. We could even used both of them to try to reach our students. I think as teachers we have that common sense that allow us to know what works for us and for our students.
    Let’s open our minds and hearts and enjoy the net and all the resources it offers. Which way? Know your students and find the right way!!
    Disfrutalo!!