1. Jenny Luca October 1, 2008 at 9:36 pm |

Love these ideas. They resonate with me too. I will be following the links you have provided here. Good luck with that presentation. With these ideas you will make an impact I’m sure.

2. Michele Martin October 2, 2008 at 3:48 am |

Great observations, Britt, and echoed by my experiences last week at the Brandon Hall conference.

Last year I did a workshop on blogging where I had people physically act out the process of blogging. We had flip chart paper on the walls with actual blog posts pasted to them. Then we gave people Post-It notes and had them go around “commenting.” We also demonstrated RSS by having the posts brought to them, etc.

This physical, low-tech way of introducing blogging seemed to really resonate with people and I wonder if you couldn’t do the same thing somehow to represent the difference between having access to only your own content and being able to share and communicate with others about their stuff? Twitter might be a different story–I’m totally into Web 2.0 and still struggle with its value–but you could potentially do something with Slideshare and Delicious that physically demonstrates the value. Just a thought. . .

3. Michele Martin October 2, 2008 at 5:04 am |

Britt, you may also want to check out the stuff on Generation V:

http://information-literacy.blogspot.com/2008/08/generation-v.html

This is also getting at some of what you’re talking about here.

4. John Zurovchak October 2, 2008 at 7:03 am |

Britt,

Great post with some excellent questions to ponder! I would agree with you wholeheartedly regarding the experiential component being so important. I also like the idea of digital residents and visitors. I am becoming more and more convinced that this is less a generational characteristic as you have pointed out. It does seem that many Net Gen folks have this experience coming out of college, but there are also a number of GenY and Boomers that are digital residents in their own organizations and personal lives as well.

The Facebook analogy was excellent. The more people that begin to use Facebook, the more they are willing to try out other social media tools.

You might want to have your teachers begin with a Facebook page and perhaps even a Facebook group. They will at once experience the power and the intimacy of the group. Once they experience this value, they will be more likely to use other tools in their own classes.

Thanks for the post.

John Zurovchak

5. Steve Whitaker October 2, 2008 at 8:50 am |

Britt,

Some really thoughtful points here, and the “walled communities v. hostels” take is an interesting perspective on it. I thought Jeff was dead-on yesterday on the show.

And thanks for the link!

Steve

6. Gabriela October 19, 2008 at 1:45 am |

Hi Britt!

great post. Love the idea of being “classified ” as visitors and residents.

Unfortunately this situation described in your post is so common in Romania: students want and know how to use new tools & new media and we can do so many things with them. BUT teachers (even from universities) are so immune against the changing and almosthalf of them has no idea what are we talking about at courses.

I really hope , as Jeff said, that we’ll be able to understand that are only 79 days to 2009! (in THIS century).