1. Eugene September 15, 2009 at 6:21 pm |

Hi, this is agreat blog, thank you!
    I agree with you that in this Brave New World we must adapt the way we see education.

2. Melissa Johnson September 16, 2009 at 10:29 am |

Thanks for this great summary Britt. I’m going to share it with my students to help them understand why I’ve designed the 1st course unit as I have.

3. Jess September 23, 2009 at 10:32 am |

What an interesting blog post and it comes just as I am preparing two lectures for tomorrow. The bit that I’m still mulling over is Principle 7 and the learning styles. I suppose I have always thought learning styles relate to how we think. I like the idea to include as many different kinds of learning experiences (sensory, kinesthetic, auditory etc…). If we as educators can make content accessible in many different ways surely that goes to help Principle 3 too? Of course, Differentiated Instruction is built on this very idea of offering multiple entries into knowledge.

Thanks for sharing your review!

4. Gabriela October 9, 2009 at 12:10 am |

Great post and it’s like a glove for our educational system!

If I have to write which principle is on top I will say No. 5. In the past semesters I could see that one of the main reason students don’t “like school” is because they don’t like practice so, they don’t do it.
    This is one of my personal challenge: to motivate them for an extended practice.
    Thanks for sharing, Britt!

5. Marjie Knudsen October 17, 2009 at 1:22 pm |

Interesting blog Britt.

Have you read the book Curious? by psychologist/scientist Todd Kashdan?
    -book out in May ’09

I mention the book in this blog –

Are you on twitter?

6. Jim Dillon June 6, 2013 at 10:11 am |

Good summary. I agree with all the principles but feel that one important one is left out: people learn optimally in a psychologically safe environment with a social norm of always trying to learn more. When people are surrounded by peers they can trust and there are no penalties for trying and making errors, learning naturally flourishes.