1. Michael Bugeja November 11, 2009 at 5:25 am |

Reread my article and respond by thinking critically rather than defensively in that our school is teched up more than others, only we don’t rely on our budgets to underwrite that. We rely on external funding. Do it and you’ll serve both students and the institution. Don’t do it, and you’ll be used by corporations.

Also, our students have all manner of gadgets on their person, so nobody is isolating them from the wireless (not “wired”) world. Moreover, your hyperbole of “Tear Down This Wall” reflects the thin-avatar skin of your argument. Rather, counter my argument by requiring your peers to put on teacher evaluations whether students, for example, found clickers useful. After all, we do that with textbooks.

Fact is, my own research suggests that one caring adviser with an open door (rather than your wall) retains more students than any of the typical attempts to engage them via technology, which is programmed for revenue generation.

Educators in particular should be working with their computer science counterparts and applying for NSF grants to develop true educational technology rather than relying on budgets to underwrite corporations draining our budgets in a time of real crisis.

2. Derek Bruff November 12, 2009 at 2:37 pm |

I know I’m responding to a bait here, but as long as Michael Bugeja continues to provide evidence for his arguments that shows he is unfamiliar with the educational research on teaching with clickers, I’m glad to continue to point to that literature.

There have been a number of studies of student perceptions of and reactions to clickers, and the results have been consistently positive. For instance, see these studies: http://is.gd/4Tzpk. Students appreciate the interactivity and anonymity that clickers provide, and they like receiving rapid feedback on their learning, including knowing where they stand relative to their peers. These findings occur again and again in the literature.

3. EdTech in a Time of Budget Cuts November 19, 2009 at 8:05 am |