1. Martell February 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm |

Lurking and learning ref from from the live hangout his evening (uk) . Connecting with the course where where and one can. Juggling real life demands and the #edcmooc which can easily absorb you so completely. As a student I may be perceived as a ‘lurker’ but only because my contributions are not considered within the hub. I am here, I am part of this course but is it enough?

2. Andy Wehrle February 15, 2013 at 9:15 pm |

Britt, marvelous reflection. My take on an online presence is that it amounts to no more than another mask. We all wear them. Dr. Sir, Ma’m, student, father, mother, sister…

We have always worm multiple masks. Technology provides another way to crate a mask. So to me the question isn’t about our humanity in a technological world, but how are we using technology to mask our humanity.

The news is full of creeps who create a mask of respectability using technology, that’s one extreme example of what I’m trying to say. But there are other, more subtle masks.

So we must develop another skill, similar to the one e use in meat space, to ferret out masks and what lies behind.

Anyway, that’s what this old grunt thinks. Oh look, another mask!

Best, Andy

3. fran February 17, 2013 at 8:16 am |

really enjoyed browsing your grad students portal, thanks