1. Andy Wehrle November 26, 2013 at 8:35 am |

Are we fundamentally different because we use a hammer or a digital tool. How has our humanity been changed, altered, or colored?

I don’t think we are fundamentally different. But perhaps we have realized potential not yet manifest in our lives. Perhaps we are MORE human because we have mastered a tool, made it a productive part of our lives.

I’m just sayin…

2. lybrarylyon November 30, 2013 at 12:39 pm |

Two phrases that stick out for me in this blog are to “build social competence within a Personal Knowledge Management framework to prepare . . . for the new world of work. They need to learn how to leverage social tools to solve their own learning and performance problems”, and to develop “my digital identity.” The first seems to be a different way of saying “life long learner”. The digital identity will most likely be a permanent fixture versus the individual characteristics of a person being forgotten over time. In my work with college students, I talk with them about how their online actions now will impact their future. I wonder how the impulsiveness and daring of their developmental stage being documented on the web will affect their future selves. A digital identity is one that is “always on” and could affect how one views self as well as how other view the person.

3. acc07855 December 8, 2013 at 2:42 pm |

I could not help but muse at the reference you made to Hart’s question, how are you preparing your students for this new world, because I used to work for the Kentucky Department of Education and in Digital Learning. I was responsible for the May 2013 Digital Learning Summit in Frankfort, KY, and one of the things that I advocated was something I called “digital pedagogy”. The focus of Digital Learning was to promote the idea that using digital tools in K-12 would improve student performances. It’s a dumb idea actually because it’s the wrong approach. I tried to make the case for pedagogy and the belief that training teachers to use digital tools and technology not as an alternate way of learning, but rather as a toolbox approach to teaching. There are probably 500 SmartBaords in classrooms all over Kentucky that have never been used. It is technology crammed into the classroom by superintendents who thought they had a solution to low test scores, or poor enthusiasm. However, what they didn’t invest in was pedagogy. Can you teach with a tool you don’t know how to use? The answer is, “no”. I got in trouble for pointing this out.

Check these two videos out:

Both of these videos are already dated and the point is how to keep up. Most Kentucky teachers use 20th century technologies (albeit LATE 20th century) to teach. What should they be doing? Hmmmm?