1. Andy March 24, 2014 at 12:27 pm |

Legitimate concern in my mind. Not every internet patron is a responsible individual.

So perhaps the question might be, when is anonymity appropriate, when not and can we use technology to regulate that?

We’ve established a vetting system for access to classified data, perhaps there needs to be such a system for access to anonymous capabilities.

2. Paolo Narciso March 25, 2014 at 4:49 pm |

Thanks for mentioning my blog Dr. W. I was an early adopter of Twitter and loved the fact that in those days, I could use my “screen name”. Today, companies like Facebook push the Social Graph and just expect that we should give up our privacy. But the opposite is anonymity which companies hate because we can’t get data about you so that we can market to you in the future.

I think anonymity is a consumer response to the lack of accountability from companies. Edward Snowden’s speech at SXSW exhorted the tech faithful to write apps that protect our privacy. I’ll be curious to see if this is a trend (and I’m tracking sentiment on social media and blogs to hopefully predict the next social movement).