From an Evolving Digital Native

Word cloud for Digital native

Back in 2008, as I was starting to blog, one of my first posts took exception with the term “digital native.”  I noted “I often try to stretch my students or fellow faculty to try out Web 2.0 tools when they feel that they are doing a perfectly adequate job teaching in a non-wired world. Why should I push?”

Though “push” is something I spent more than a decade doing!

The current definition according to the web still continues that young-age-feel – “…a person born or brought up during the age of digital technology and therefore familiar with computers and the internet from an early age.”

But in 2008, at the then ancient age of 58, I felt more “native” than my age seemed to allow.  That feeling has not lessened in the past 16 years (…and gosh – that is a long time of blogging!).

Now I am playing with artificial intelligence and specifically Claude AI.  I uploaded my old 2008 post into Claude and asked how it (still not sure of pronouns with AI!!!) and I might update this post for 2024.

Seconds later, this popped up on my screen:

Title: From an Evolving Digital Native

In 2008, Michele Martin’s blog post “Venturing Outside of My Web 2.0 Bubble” highlighted the divide between early adopters and the majority of internet users. At that time, most people were content with basic internet tools like Google search, while early adopters embraced Web 2.0 technologies like Firefox and RSS feeds.

Fast forward to 2024, and the digital landscape has transformed dramatically. The concept of being a “digital native” has evolved beyond age or specific tools. { I totally agree!}  It’s now about embracing a mindset of continuous learning, adaptability, and leveraging technology to enhance our lives and work.

In education, the COVID-19 pandemic accelerated the adoption of online learning and digital tools. Teachers and students alike had to quickly adapt to new platforms and methodologies. {This goes to the “forced adoption” concept mentioned in my last post.}  This experience highlighted the importance of digital literacy and the need for educators to stay current with technological advancements.

As an educator in 2024, I recognize that my role is not just to introduce new tools {and my go to place for digital tools is Jane Hart’s Top Tool List}, but to foster a love for learning and encourage creativity. Today’s students are growing up in a world where artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and other emerging technologies are becoming commonplace. It’s crucial that we empower them with the skills and mindset to thrive in this rapidly evolving landscape.

Being a digital native in 2024 means being open to new possibilities and embracing change. It’s about understanding how technology can enhance learning experiences and prepare students for the future. We must strive to create learning environments that nurture curiosity, collaboration, and critical thinking. {…and for me, that makes “people” all the more important in this digital environment.}

As educators, we have the opportunity to model lifelong learning and adaptability. By staying current with technological advancements and incorporating them into our teaching, we can inspire our students to do the same. Together, we can cultivate a generation of digital natives who are equipped to tackle the challenges and opportunities of the 21st century.

I believe that being a digital native is not about age or specific tools, but rather a mindset of embracing change, continuous learning, and leveraging technology to make a positive impact. As we navigate the ever-evolving digital landscape, let’s work together to create a future where everyone has the opportunity to thrive.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on how you see the concept of being a digital native evolving in 2024 and beyond.

Soooo….

I could go in now and use this as a first draft and edit it, but in all honesty, Claude not only captured my intent but my style of writing as well (or at least it seemed to me to do so).  I liked the ideas of evolution, of the impact of the pandemic, and of the viewpoint that digital native is all about embracing change!

I plan to “evolve” more of my older posts…this is just the first.  But partnering with Claude simplifies this process.

What do you think?  Is this enhancing the blogging process or taking the easy way out?  Would you use something like Claude to draft posts (or letters or lesson plans or…)?  For some context, check out Jess Fortet’s thoughts on AI and blogging.  And look at Ryan Robinson’s (co-founder of RightBlogger) tips on blogging using AI.

As Claude said, I’d love to hear your thoughts!

{Graphics: OpenPR, Oxford Definitions, Jounce}

2 thoughts on “From an Evolving Digital Native