Bio and CV

My name is Britt Watwood and I retired in 2016 from Northeastern University’s Center for Advancing Teaching and Learning Through Research, or CATLR.  I joined CATLR in 2014, having spent the previous 8 years as a member of the VCU Center for Teaching Excellence. For the past decade, I worked with faculty interested in digitally enhancing their teaching. I have finished online teaching as of April 2022 due to a resurgence of prostate cancer, but remain passionate about online instruction.  I brought to my teaching and consulting twenty-eight years of online teaching experience. My research interests lay in the areas of online teaching practice and best uses of technology for teaching. I used my courses as a test bed for online instructional practices. At the graduate level, I taught courses in organizational behavior, quality management, community college leadership, social media and educational technology. At the undergraduate level, I taught numerous business management courses.

My education doctorate is from University of Nebraska, while my education masters degree is from Old Dominion University. My bachelor degree is from the U.S. Naval Academy, and I retired from the Navy as a Commander after 22 years of service.

Download my CV here

DISCLAIMER: I am a product of my personal learning network and my thoughts are impacted by the many people locally and virtually with whom I have contact. However, the views expressed here in this blog are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of the institutions in which I taught.

Having “disclaimed,” let me add that blogging is more a conversation than mere reflection, and I enjoy receiving and replying to comments to this blog. As one of my mentors, Michele Martin noted, blogs work best when commenting occurs. As she also noted, we assume that we’re all grown-ups here, so any comments people leave should be reasonably civil and productive. I reserve the right to moderate or remove comments if there’s a problem, although I’m pleased to say that there’s usually not an issue!

Take the time to get to know me through my blog, and please give me feedback on what you find!

Previous Visitors
Previous Visitors

8 thoughts on “Bio and CV

1. Hello Britt,
    I saw your comment on Sue Water’s blog and wanted to say hello from Fredericksburg. I did my M.Ed at VCU about 7 or 8 years ago. I look forward to reading your blog.

2. Hi Britt!
    You’re my hero! I’ve enjoyed reading your blog–it reminds me of how much I miss being a part of your teaching and learning team. I’ll check in from time to time…
    Best,
    SL in Georgia

3. Dear Mr. Watwood,
    my name is Ladka Mortkowitz and I’m a reporter for AFP (Agence France-Presse) based in Prague, Czech Republic. My primary role with the AFP is to debunk fake news; I’m currently working on a piece about a misleading Facebook post that gives false information about wearing face masks during the COVID-19 epidemic. I believe the post used your image: https://www.facebook.com/michael.bor.961/posts/647798949386822
    Would you be so kind as to get back in touch with me and confirm that
    a) this is indeed you;
    b) you are not a medical doctor;
    c) you have not given any speeches /advice regarding the proper use of face masks?
    I would greatly appreciate your help with this. There has been a lot of fake news about this pandemic, and we are trying to root out false information to keep people informed, not misinformed.
    Best regards,
    Ladka Mortkowitz Bauerova
    AFP
    https://factcheck.afp.com/
    https://napravoumiru.afp.com/

1. You are correct, Ladka – first time to my knowledge that I had my image hijacked. I am not a doctor of medicine, nor have I given any speeches regarding wearing masks. I have posted on FB a picture of the mask my wife made me…but that was as far an endorsement as I went.

4. Mr. Watwood, may I use the Seven Principles for Good Practice in Online Teaching diagram found on your blog? I am involved in a teaching online course and one of the assignments is to post a media or graphic. The use of the diagram would only be within the Canvas course room and in completion of an assignment.