1. Jim May 16, 2009 at 11:02 pm |

Hey Britt,

Thanks a million for coming up and spending the a academy with us. Having folks from other schools and collaborating in the sessions as you are so good at doing really makes this conference special for me. And you’re right about the either/or dilemma of the CMS, I just wish we could more cleanly delineate and imagine the difference between more managerial tasks and the crucial elements of thinking of the web as a tool and resource that far outstrips the possibilities that we are currently paying too much money for a closed and rather laboring system. I just can’t give up on the debate 🙂

2. Chris L May 22, 2009 at 5:46 pm |

I especially liked the following quote, “In other words, Blackboard served as a portal and launching point for my students into the open web.”

I’m finding that on our campus, the issues are almost exclusively tied to student privacy, the proprietary nature of faculty content (not always copyright issues) and an academic system that is woefully ill-prepared to translate scholastic activity using new media into some type of reward for the faculty member–of of which definitely fall into organizational/cultural issues rather than technological challenges.

Thanks for the post!