1. Linda July 7, 2012 at 12:32 am |

I found this statement in an article about Making the Most of Stretch Assignments (retrieved at http://generativityllc.com/whitepaper-making-the-most-of-stretch-assignments.pdf). Although the article refers to assignments in a business venue, I think it also speaks to our PB&J assignment and our future roles as education leaders.
    Rationale for Stretch Assignments
    For years, we have known that one of the best ways to sustain and accelerate the upward trajectory of those with high potential for senior leadership is to place them, time and again, in new assignments that present ever-increasing levels of challenge. The demands of such “stretch” assignments require developing leaders to step out of their comfort zone, acquire new skills, and cope with the anxiety induced by uncertainty and risk-taking. With each new experience, these leaders grow more adaptive, resourceful, and resilient. As a result, they bring even greater capacity to their next new challenge, and thus emerges the competence, confidence, and maturity of the general manager or future enterprise leader.

2. Jan Seiter July 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm |

Thanks for articulating what I have been observing in my masters classes in Ed tech. Good points.