1. Jenny Luca April 14, 2008 at 3:48 am |

Yes Britt, me!! This is exactly the feeling learning and growing in this digital world creates. You feel a connection with like minded people you have never physically met, and less connection with those in your physical presence who don’t ‘get’ what all the fuss is about. I’m having to work hard at maintaining connections in both worlds. It is intense maintaining the digital end of things, but I feel so rewarded and enriched by the experience. I feel like my friends and family are tuning out because they are not on the same page, but I recognise that these relationships are vital and I need to make the effort to connect at this end also. Finding balance is the hard part. I’m thankful that my husband gets it, and recognises that this is important for me professionally. Thanks for linking on my blog – can’t wait to read it. We’ve just ordered it from Amazon – don’t think it’s readily available in Australia yet.

2. Michele Martin April 14, 2008 at 5:43 am |

Yes, Britt, I definitely feel the angst. Because of things going on in my life right now, I have less time to give to developing and nurturing my PLE. I miss it, but at the same time, I’m more connected to many of the parts of my “real life” that had begun to fall away. It’s such a balancing act!

I think it goes in cycles, too, where sometimes we’re consumed by all that we can do online and then at other times we just need to get away from it. We all have to find our personal balance points.

3. Sue April 17, 2008 at 7:04 am |

Thanks Britt It was pretty exciting watching it all happen. I started a group on Diigo for Australian/ NZ educators so we could perhaps have a forum for issues specific for our situations here and after it hit 37 members I thought I would try and have a meet-up and explore flash meeting which I had booking rights for but had never used. Twenty people came to the meeting and the next meeting will be next Sunday 8pm AEST. then when the booking ran out we moved to ustream, thanks to Sue waters and then on to Elluminate.
    For some of the members it was a really amazing first chance to see the power of the web to build real networks and it was also a great chance for some new links to be made. Vicki Davis and Kate H came on from the Northern hemisphere and they moved it on to much more serious issues and the digital citizenship group was started. Vicki is amazing the way she can cut to the point and also use the net to actually support the technology. A very empowering evening which continues to echo around the blogosphere. Hope we can meet there or on twitter!