1. Dan Keldsen December 9, 2008 at 12:37 pm |

Britt – hi there, saw your mention of the Market IQ on Enterprise 2.0 that I co-wrote while working at AIIM earlier this year.

I hope we didn’t leave the impression that Culture isn’t incredibly important for Enterprise 2.0 (or anything else for that matter). We covered it in a fair amount of detail (I thought?), specifically pointing the connection to the success of Knowledge Management from many years ago.

Carl Frappaolo and I had a bit of fun doing a skit at the Enterprise 2.0 Conference, specifically about the “age issue” and culture.

See that clip at:

Further coverage can be found at:

And we’ve continued to refine the cultural discussion with an evolution chart that always diverts any presentation we’re making for a good 15-20 minutes by itself, see Carl’s post at:

Keeping up with the blogging is quite a challenge, eh? I find Twitter to be a plausible substitute, although for those not ON twitter, they’re not seeing the “behind the scenes” discussions going on.

2. Virginia Yonkers December 10, 2008 at 7:10 pm |

I have been wondering about these same questions recently as our school has undergone severe budget cuts.

I think part of the problem,however, is that many IT departments are asking the wrong question. What they should be asking faculty is “what are you doing now that you would like to be doing better?” Using this as a starting point, IT personnel can introduce a basket of tools (some old, some new) that we majority or late adapters might choose from, depending on our needs and technology abilities.

Likewise, faculty need to understand that traditional ways of teaching might not work in the current environment so they may have to adjust their teaching style and tools. What is important is to identify the affordances for faculty and make them aware that the same tool can be used many different ways. For example, I use Power Point in my classroom to capture ideas (in lieu of the chalkboard) that can then be saved as class notes. I also use it for its graphics features as it is easier to create charts and graphics than other software I use. I am familiar with the graphing features and have yet to find a new program which gives me the same control and templates. Why change or learn a new program for graphing (such as adobe products or Mac’s graphing capabilities) if I can do it just as well on a program I already know.

So, for me the five affordances I need in technology these days are: collaboration organization software (keeping records of collaboration, central depository for resources, task management); simple mind mapping or model creation software that allows for free drawing of relationships and arrows; a way to organize video clips and set them up in sequence so they can be shown in class without having to upload the site (one click will stop or go); easy screen capture software to put together user instructions; and a course management system that organizes links to outside tools for student use.

3. Janet Hawtin December 11, 2008 at 12:28 pm |

Barbara Dieu captures a great quote from Jimmy Wales here
    on the structures of value and control which run counter to collaborative pedagogy.

Dr Campbell also tackles systemic blocks to sharing such as units of credit

A presentation to Congress by Wesch and his students

All highlight the tensions between the business of education and the experience of learning. Perhaps it is more the emergent economic practices and values which should be under a spotlight. Perhaps the economies of scale, restrictive copyright, and institutional risk aversion which make good business sense are cutting away the freedoms which provide the messy root space for learning.