1. Beth Holmes October 10, 2008 at 7:31 pm |

Hello, Britt!

Astute and accurate observation:”The longer you try to keep your life simple and organized, the less you will know and the less you will be relevant.” This is an important observation and it was not lost on me!

It is impossible to remain relevant in education without engaging in the online learning revolution. It is simply amazing how much one’s vision changes when the world of Web 2.0 learning becomes personal and real in one’s own learning experience.

It is hard – if not impossible – to explain the culture and nuances of a “new frontier.” It is like trying to communicate the beauty and charm of a foreign land to one who has never traveled. I am finding that words are insufficient. What does seem to be helpful is to share and model the knowledge learned in my “new world.” Educators are knowledge seekers. They often ask, “How did you know that?” This question, I find, is the teachable moment.

I’ll use your quote far and wide: “The longer you try to keep your life simple and organized, the less you will know and the less you will be relevant.” When others ask “How do you know Britt Watwood?” I’ll point to the “new frontier” … the place I met you and the place where they can meet you too!

Thank you for a thoughtful post!

2. Ken Allan October 11, 2008 at 4:18 am |

Kia ora Britt!

Now you’ve got me thinking. That’s not always a good thing 🙂

I’d be interested to see how the academic scientists fare with this idea. The reason I broach this is because Science has been built upon a set of models.

These models have always started off fairly simple – Occam’s Razor played a large part in all of that. But (even without the Net and Web2.0) things quickly got a bit complex in Science.

Newton’s bones were shaken when Einstein came along. The model of the atom has never rested since Dalton invented his one. The Universe, once so simple, is now too vast to take in at a billion glances, let alone a glance. The theory of matter has gotten all tied up with string. And the singularity called the black hole, isn’t so black any more.

Science has always been aware of the capriciousness of simplicity. Yet scientists have always tried to look for the simplest explanations.

A Scottish adage goes, “naethin’ cams itsel.” There are various renditions of this. They all mean the same. Things are never as simple as they seem. Just when you think you’ve got it sussed, someone comes along with an idea that rocks the boat and bamboozles everyone.

I guess we could have predicted it would turn out that way. So what’s new?

Ka kite

3. Mark Dykeman October 13, 2008 at 2:03 pm |

I hadn’t heard of Weinberger’s book before; sounds intriguing. I don’t have much experience with academia, having worked in a less structured commercial environment for the past 17 years, but I have an information “swimming” method that’s somewhat similar to what you describe.

Louis Gray wrote a similar blog post where he describes his information consumption methods (he doesn’t just swim; he dives deep and long):

http://www.louisgray.com/live/2008/04/my-social-media-consumption-workflow.html

Regards,

Mark