1. Jeff Utecht October 13, 2008 at 9:11 pm |

Not sure it’s that eloquent but it just hit me while doing a presentation at Learning 2.008 that I’m tired of saying 21st Century. We’re in it! We need to understand we’re in it and we need to stop talking like the 21st Century is something out there that we are preparing students for. The 21st Century is today, tomorrow, and the foreseeable future.

2. Gardner October 13, 2008 at 9:34 pm |

Great post. I agree with Jeff Utecht, but I’m afraid that we’ll have to keep reminding colleagues that the century has turned for one huge reason: so they don’t think that the finish line was reached in 1999 once everyone had computers on the desktop, browsers up and going, and Blackboard installed. I fear that the first way of teaching and learning technologies convinced many faculty that a) the gains weren’t worth the bother or b) they had “paid their dues” by actually surfing the web a time or two. The big question for me is why faculty can’t see that their progress with information technologies is just like their progress with their field of inquiry: iterative, messy, uneven, but ultimately building toward greater expertise and fluency.